Adey Steel has been built on a passion to succeed. Since our small beginnings in 1925 we have succeeded in becoming a leading steel design, fabrication, stockholding and logistics Group. Today we remain an independent family owned business proud of our past and passionate about our future.
In 1925, Harry Adey established a vision, to build an exceptional business that would capitalise on his expertise in ironmongery. In September of that year H.Adey & Sons was founded and Harry and his wife May began supplying the local area with household items, fixings, cookware and tools from a shop on Nottingham Rd, Loughborough. Before long the shop had developed a reputation as a specialist in the supply and maintenance of tools and ironware to the building and farming industries.
It was from this base and the purchase of a small workshop at the back of the existing shop that H. Adey and Sons began to carry out small scale steel fabrication. In 1931 Arthur Adey joined his mother and father in the business at the age of 15, which saw the steel fabrication side of the business flourish. By his early 20’s Arthur Adey had expanded the business considerably which was now specialising in the supply and installation of steelwork to the construction industry. By the Mid 1940’s the second of the sons Jack Adey joined the business and began to help run the ironmongers shop while Arthur further developed the steel fabrication side.
In 1962 Arthur’s son Garry Adey joined the business and later in 1979 Jacks son Raymond Adey completed the arrival of the 3rd generation. With the input of these further family members both business divisions saw independent development. In 1989 the two divisions de-merged to form two self-governing companies. The ironmongers shop continued trading under the name of H. Adey and Sons and was run by Jack and Raymond Adey while the Steel Fabrication Company took the name Adey Steel Ltd and was run by Arthur and Garry Adey.
Adey Steel Ltd continued to grow and after many extensions to its facilities at Sparrow Hill and renting of nearby factories, it relocated to its current site on Meadow Lane on the outskirts of Loughborough in 2000. Adey Steel Ltd saw further internal de-mergers in 2001 when Adey SteelShop Ltd was formed as a separate company specialising in steel stockholding and metal processing. Further advancement occurred in 2007 when Adey Transport Ltd was set up providing the steelwork industry with steel specific transport expertise moving several thousands of tonnes of steel throughout the UK each year.
As technology increased its influence on the steelwork industry Adeys broke out its in-house design and drawing office to form Adey Technical in 2012. This independent business is now focused on providing technical steelwork solutions to the Adey Steel Group’s in-house companies as well as the wider engineering industry.
Garry Adey is now Chairman of the Adey Steel Group with son Andrew Adey having joined the company in 2003 assuming the role of Group Managing Director, the 4th generation in over 90 years of trading.
Throughout Adeys long history quality, customer service and continuous development have been at the heart of its success. These principles remain today and will be instrumental in securing our business’s success as we move forward into the future.